Healthy Choices. Hopeful Futures.
AWARE’s purpose is to educate, equip, and encourage teens to think and plan for a healthy future. Our presentations are interactive, humorous, entertaining, and most importantly, they open up the conversation of sex and sexuality in a safe learning environment.
Our hope is to foster a culture that embraces reserving sexual activity for marriage. We think sexuality is a natural, normal part of all human beings, and it’s also very powerful and can be harmful if taken lightly. We believe the healthiest way to practice sexual behavior is inside a marriage relationship. We know that not everyone will choose a path to monogamy, but we think everyone deserves to know why it’s awesome.
We’re not about making sex shameful or judging people who have had past sexual experiences by victimization or choice. Rather, we’re in the business of building up and instilling value. Our desire is to empower young people to see that the sexual choices they make now will have an impact on themselves and on their future relationships, and that they can choose sexual integrity today regardless of their past.
AWARE does not promote a religious or political agenda and remains value-neutral allowing parents/guardians to speak their individual values into the student and giving students the opportunity to make their own informed choices. AWARE is applicable to all students. Anyone who can get pregnant, cause a pregnancy, contract an STI or infect another with an STI can benefit from this program.
This presentation focuses on encouraging students to respect themselves and develop good friendships. Students discuss setting goals, having realistic boundaries to protect themselves and others, and are encouraged to save “physical closeness” until marriage.
- Goal Setting and Achievement Strategies
- Risk Avoidance (Abstinence) and Optimal Health
- Internet Safety
- Puberty Changes
- Characteristics of a Good Friendship
- Peer Pressure
- Positive vs. Negative Friends
- Boundaries and Ways to Say No
- Good Grooming Habits
Summary: The most important thing you can do right now to prepare for an incredible future with a great marriage is to learn how to be a good friend and set physical and emotional boundaries.
This presentation is 4 hours altogether, but it can be customized to fit each school’s needs. Boys & girls can be taught in separate classrooms with a male & female presenter, respectively. Optionally, the presentation can be done with boys & girls combined and 1 presenter. The curriculum is from REAL Essentials, a research-based, nationally approved SRA (Sexual Risk Avoidance) curriculum: http://www.myrelationshipcenter.org/curriculum/real-essentials-starting-point
We’re happy to do a Parent Night before the presentation, and parents/guardians are always welcome to attend the presentation with their students.
Students talk about setting goals, growing in maturity and character, and what it takes to make a good friendship. The meaning of abstinence and how it can protect them from the risks of teenage sex will be examined, along with positive decision-making skills, boundaries, toxic vs. healthy relationships and how to communicate effectively.
- Choices & Consequences
- Goal Setting
- Characteristics of a Healthy Relationships
- Red Flags of Toxic Relationships
- Media’s Influence
- Refusal Skills
- Risk Avoidance (Abstinence) and Optimal Health
- Strategies for Decision Making
- Dangers of Sexting
- Puberty (6th Grade)
- Physical Progression of a Relationship
This presentation is offered cost free, and can be done in four 45 minute class periods, but can also be customized to fit each school’s needs. Each grade level has unique lessons and fun activities that help students remember the material. The curriculum is from REAL Essentials, a research-based, nationally approved SRA (Sexual Risk Avoidance) curriculum: http://www.myrelationshipcenter.org/curriculum/real-essentials-starting-point
This presentation is both factual and fun as it addresses teen emotional, social and physical health and sexuality. It includes lessons on healthy vs. unhealthy relationships, knowing yourself, empowerment for a healthy future, recognizing sexual assault and defining healthy boundaries, understanding the risks of engaging in sexual activity during the teen years, love and intimacy, healthy communication, assertiveness skills, and abstinence as a choice.
- Healthy vs. Unhealthy Relationships (H1Se5.HSb)
- Sexual Decision Making and Emotions (H5.Se1.HS)
- Differentiate Affection, Love, Commitment, and Sexual Attraction (H1.Se5.HSa)
- Decision-Making Model for Sexual Health (H5.Se4.HS)
- Communication and Consent (H4.Se5.HS)
- Factors Affecting Consent (H2.Se5.HS)
- Accessing Information for Survivors of Sexual Offenses (H3.Se5.HS)
- Results of Teen Parenting (H1.Se1.HSb)
- Abstinence as a Choice (H1.Se4.HSb)
- Personal Responsibility for Sexual Choices (H7.Se6.HS)
- Hormones and Sexual Decisions (H5.Se1.HS
- Behaviors that Effect Reproductive Health (H1.Se1.HSc)
- Evaluate Contraceptive Effectiveness (H1.Se4.HSa)
- Concerns for Sexually Explicit Pictures/Messages (H1.Se6.HSb)
- Resolving Conflict (H8.So4.HS)
- Effective Communication Skills (H4.So4.HS)
- Strategies to Deal with Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying (H1.So5.HS, H2.So5.HS)
- Summarize Fertilization, Fetal and Child Development (H1.Se1.HSa)
This presentation is offered cost-free to any high school classroom, and comes from Love Notes curriculum through the Dibbles Institute. Presentation times are flexible depending on the topics desired, feel free to contact us for more details. ZOOM meetings and pre-recorded videos are also available upon request.
We typically work with human growth & development teachers as part of their sexual education curriculum, but we can work with other teachers as well.
We have a variety of options for college presentations. We have a 1 hour presentation on our services, STI’s, contraception, results of sexual activity, consent, and a Q&A time. You may also request a nurse to do a more in-depth class on STI’s, safe sex, intro to sex & sexual health, or related sexual risk avoidance topics.
If you have specific topics you would like covered in relation to sexual risk avoidance and community services, please contact us and we’d be happy to discuss it. Currently, we have a 1 hour cost-free presentation covering the following topics:
- Life Options’ free & confidential services such as pregnancy testing, ultrasounds, options counseling, parenting support, STI testing and treatment, and community referrals
- STI’s: rates, symptoms, safe sex, and testing options.
- Contraception: options & effectiveness.
- Results of Sexual Activity
- Sexual Integrity: what it looks like and the benefits of reserving sexual activity for a mutually monogamous lifelong committed relationship.
- Q&A time with an AWARE presenter & Life Options nurse.
In-depth classes on STI’s, safe sex, introduction to sex & sexual health, and related sexual risk avoidance topics are coming soon.
Unlike all the other AWARE presentations, we also have a faith-based presentation for private or Christian schools and 2 presentations for youth groups or other youth organizations. Topics covered include pornography, a Biblical view of sex and sexuality, and healthy relationships.
The Elementary, Middle School, High School & College presentations were designed for public schools, as are the Girls & Guys 180 clubs. Therefore, they do not promote a religious agenda nor are they faith-based.
If you prefer, we have a faith-based presentation designed for private or Christian high schools.
- Choices, Goal Setting, & Character
- Biblical Truths about Sex
- Consequences of Sexual Activity
- Sexual Integrity/Abstinence
- Identity in Christ vs. Identity in Works
- Sexual Progression of a Relationship
- Sex and the Brain
- Biblical & Physical Basis for Boundaries
- Fleeing Sexual Temptation
- Possible Results of Sexual Activity (STI’s, pregnancy, & emotional effects)
- What Jesus Says About Porn
- Porn’s effect on the Brain, Relationships & Community
- Love vs. Infatuation
- Characteristics of a Healthy Relationship
- Sexual Coercion Red Flags
- True Intimacy
- Safest Sex and the Benefits of Marriage
- Making Jesus the center while pursuing sexual integrity
This 3 to 4-day presentation is offered cost-free to your school.
We have 2 faith-based presentation series for youth groups or other youth organizations. Both series are designed to motivate youth with the message of sexual integrity. As the best education on sex comes not from lecturing but including them in the dialogue, these are created to focus on conversation and discussion.
This 3-part series will paint the grand picture seen in scripture and go beyond the ‘just don’t do it’ rhetoric and explore God’s grand design for sex as the sex-maker. The students will build a foundation for future conversations on sex and relationship that stay centered on Jesus Christ. This 1 and a half hour presentation can be broken up into two weeks, or customized to fit your youth group.
Part 1: What does the Bible say about sex?
Part 2: Is sexual integrity possible?
Part 3: The journey of waiting!
This 2-part series will paint the grand picture seen in scripture and go beyond the ‘just don’t do it’ rhetoric and explore God’s grand design for sex as the sex-maker. The students build a firm foundation for avoiding or quitting habitual porn use and stay centered on Jesus Christ. The hour presentation can be split into two 30 minute sessions, or customized to fit your youth group.
Pornography is a growing epidemic and having conversations surrounding its impact with youth is important. This series has been developed not to be a lecture that can possibly bring further shame, rather, it is intended to bring what is in the dark into the light!
Part 1: What is the BIG deal?
Part 2: The solution to quitting porn?
The “Greater Than” series (developed by ProjectSix19) can be done a variety of ways: as a 2-5 week series during youth group time, a special evening presentation (such as Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night for Greater Than>Sex) or a retreat/conference/weekend event. We’re happy to discuss it and find the best option for your group.
Guys & Girls 180:
Our weekly after-school clubs in the middle schools are positive peer support clubs for teens to learn, be encouraged, make friends, hang out, & have fun! We talk about healthy relationships, decision making, character, goals, responsibility, good friendships, and more.
Guys & Girls 180-Bringing About A Change
Our goal is to help young guys and girls think and plan for a successful future by helping them recognize that the choices they are making now will determine what kind of person they will become and what kind of future they will have.
The club is structured to include an introductory activity or game, a character-building lesson/life skill, how to use the life skills discussed, and a snack. Ideally, we meet with the clubs once a week for an hour after school.
We also have an incentive program where students earn points for attending club meetings that they can use to “purchase” fun items at our “store” twice a year.
We require all participants to have parent permission to be in the club (we provide parent permission slips for each student).
Current Club Locations & Times:
Grandview Middle School:
- Girls 180 – Meets on Friday from 1:00-2:00 in Room 104 or the library
- Guys 180 – Meets on Thursdays from 2:30-3:30 at the Extra Mile Student Center
Sunnyside Middle School:
- Girls 180 – Meets Tuesdays at Harrison from 2:30-3:30 in the library
- Guys 180 – Meets on Thursdays at Harrison from 2:30-3:30 in the library
Prosser Middle School:
- Girls 180 – Meets Thursdays from 3:30-4:30 at Sharehouse
- Guys 180 – Meets Fridays from 3:00-5:00 at Sharehouse
If your school is not on this list and you would like to have Guys & Girls 180 club at your school, please contact us. We’re always excited to start new clubs! We just need school permission, an available classroom, and volunteer club facilitators.